Moldy Condos Frustrate Residents

Article Courtesy of 

WESH 2, Orlando
Published January 24, 2007


By Reporter Michelle Meredith

 Watch VIDEO --Moldy Condos

Mold and water damage are worrying people living in some local condominiums.

The damage is so bad in one unit of a south Orange County complex that it had to be condemned, WESH 2 News reported.

Residents of the Blossom Park of Orlando condos, which are just off Orange Blossom Trail, said people may be surprised about what passes for condos these days.

The Blossom Park condos have two distinctive features -- they used to be part of an old hotel and the complex has major water leaks.

One resident said he uses newspapers to soak up the water.

"I'm very frustrated. Very," another resident said. "I can't even sleep."

Some people own their condo and some rent. But they all said that they have complained to management.

"And they do nothing about it," one resident said.

"You pay a maintenance fee of $235 a month, and what kind of maintenance are you getting?" WESH 2 reporter Michelle Meredith asked one resident.

"Nothing," the woman said. "No maintenance at all."

Meredith asked the community association manager what was going on.

"So, you're saying the money was mismanaged by the previous board?" Meredith said.

"I'm saying there wasn't enough money collected to meet all the demands of the association," manager Ron McAnish said.

The people who rent there have options. They can give their landlord written notice that he or she needs to do something and they can withhold their rent until it happens.

For more information and tips, visit

Those who own their condos need to file a complaint with the state's Divison of Land Sales, Condos and Mobile Homes. There's only way to get that form: print it off the Internet.

Visit to get started. After you complete the application ,mail it to:

Division of Florida Land Sales, Condominiums and Mobile Homes
1940 N. Monroe Street
Northwood Centre, Suite 16
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1029

Forms are available in English and Spanish. The complaint will then be assigned to an investigator, who is supposed to contact you within 30 days.